- Copper piping – the primary material use in plumbing today – was used by the Egyptians 3000 years ago to lay their own pipes – Cleo knew good piping when she saw it!
- In Japan, many private homes and also some public toilets have toilet slippers (toire surippa) in front of the toilet door that should be used when in the toilet and removed immediately after leaving the toilet, ensuring the separation of ‘unclean’ from the ‘clean’ parts of the house. This also indicates if the toilet is in use.
- The average person will spend three whole years of their life sitting on the toilet. That’s 1,095 days or 26,280 hours. Hope you’ve got lots of reading material!
- King George II of Great Britain died in 1760 by falling off a toilet.
- A survey revealed three out of four people put their toilet paper on the holder with the flap in the front. I wonder how many fold the edge into a beautiful design!
- Black Sabbath fan? Legendary rocker Ozzy Osbourne was a plumber’s apprentice before getting into the music industry. I guess it wasn’t his ‘Call of the Wild’.
- The “Bathroom” has had many unique terms and names throughout history. The Egyptians called it the “House of Horror”, it was referred to as the “Necessarium” by the Romans., and Tudor England coined it as the “Privy”.
- The Japanese now have urinals featuring the latest voice activated flushing mechanisms. The urinals respond to several commands, including ‘wash’, ‘fire’, and ‘remove the grime’ in over 30 languages.
- Actors Bob Hoskins and Michael Caine were plumbers before acting beckoned.
- Everyone has a one in ten thousand chance of being hurt by a toilet in their lifetime. Ouch!
- The first stall in a row of public toilets is the least used, and is therefore the cleanest.
- The World Toilet Organization was founded on 19 November 2001and on this day every year World Toilet Day is celebrated.
- Some bizarre words used for the loo are: convenience, dunny, bog, khazi, garderobe, necessary, cloakroom, latrine, place of easement, water closet (WC), the ‘john’, and the ‘can’.
- “Plumber” comes from the Latin word “plumbum”! Say no more.
- Insulating your home’s pipes can reduce the amount of heat lost as your water travels from your heater to your faucet. You’ll run less water waiting for it to warm up and save money on your utility bills.
- 90% of pharmaceuticals taken by people are excreted through urination. Therefore our sewer systems contain a heavy dose of drugs.
Are you looking for someone to help you fix you plumbing? If you are, check out the full list of services and areas services by Garbers Plumbing Coffs Harbour. Get in touch so we can discus your requirements!